Residential Zoning Systems
The proper application of zoning systems in residential homes is challenging. Advantages, disadvantages and equipment protection requirements need to be evaluated in the planning and design phase.
The current version of ACCA Manual Zr is the reference standard for this program.
- Key factors that affect the zoning decision are examined. Those include house layout and design, diversity within the home load and operating mode compatibility.
- The impact associated with changes in heating and cooling equipment air flow is explored. Focus is on blower performance and operating temperature range for conventional and variable speed fans.
- Multiple strategies for managing excess air are compared for effectiveness and equipment protection.
- Btuh/CFM and bypass factor calculations are summarized to illustrate the challenges associated with proper equipment selection.
- Basic methods for managing excess air are explored for effectiveness and efficiency.
- The top ten zoning rules are highlighted to assist contractors in defining when zoning may or may not be the right option.